wecandoit3

Voting

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

"God Bless Us, Everyone.."

Well there's no Tiny Tim in this blog post, but meet "Mr. Scrooge"

          .....or so HE says he is. Mr Baker tries not to waste money. And being lowly college students--it's a legitimate effort. So we try not to spend money when we don't have to. Mr. Baker is always encouraging me to make do with what we have and I must say as an artist I can appreciate that challenge since discipline is source for real creativity. These past few weeks I have had plenty of time to exercise "creativity" as the end of the semester and finals have rendered me a "BYU-Idaho" widow. Usually Mr. Baker is able to make it home for lunch and dinner and spend the evenings with me, but with finals and projects (especially the immer demanding Graphic Design class) it's been long days on campus, early mornings, late nights, and me taking food to him because usually if he comes home he has a hard time leaving home to get back to work (yes it is my fault). Anyway he must have been feeling very guilty about all this because the other day he came home to grab a snack and some things for an assignment and then with a big smile said, "Hey sweetheart, would you like to go get yourself a treat?" --as in the self-proclaimed Mr. Scrooge was ACTUALLY suggesting I spend money. I don't want you to think I live with and love a penny-pinching meiser. I certainly am not the best with money so over the past 6 months of marriage I've tried to follow his example and be more frugal, but before I was most definitely one of those people who would spend any extra dollar she had and excuse the purchase of little luxuries. So imagine how proud I was when, after a few moments of reflection, honestly replied, "No I don't need anything, thank you though." But then Mr Baker couldn't help but show a little disappointment. I could tell by the change in his expression that he felt bad. It's got to be hard being a husband--you think you've got some aspect of your wife all figured out--like knowing that a little treat will just make her day, so you get all excited about giving it to her and then she declines. Add pregnancy hormones and I got a little teary eyed when I realized that Mr Baker probably thought this would really make my day. I felt so bad. So I told him when he got his homework done for the day we'd get a treat together. But still I felt really bad for ruining the moment...perhaps I should have nabbed a five-r from his wallet and dashed off to Florence's chocolate store and gorged myself on her delicious chocolates (my FAVORITE!!) leaving Mr Baker to eat his ramen in my dust. On second thought--no I shouldn't --Mr Baker you hold on to that Mr. Lincoln and make a visit to Florence's after I've popped Poppyseed out. I think then I'll deserve some chocolates and Simply Lemonade thank you very much.

2 comments:

  1. You are too cute! And yes, I've married a Mr. Scrooge as well, although, poor guy (literally!), I'm not nearly as good at finding bargains as you are. Good job Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah and I used to think that art wasn't the most prudent of majors but having spent my life making something out other things actually has helped a lot

    ReplyDelete