wecandoit3

Voting

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

That Clumsy ole' Pregnant Woman

So last week I recommenced my usual pre-pregnancy workout routine: exercise every day at six--> Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat= Jog, Tues, Thurs= fitness class. Followed by a postwork out smoothie (Today's was Coconut Pumpkin--recipe to follow post :]  ). I was surprised to find that I didn't feel as sluggish and out of shape as I expected to--the internet suggests that that may be a result of my increased blood volume and lung capacity from pregnancy. In fact I could almost get back to my usual rate easily. I've also found that the "exercise high" after a work out is also much more noticeable--I feel on top of the world after each workout. But it's also helping with regulating some of my hormonal symptoms of pregnancy--remember how my easy embarrassment issues. This is an important point as you'll see in my little anecdote from fitness class. Today I did step aerobics, a delightful method of exercise probably invented by some woman who dreamed of being a dancer, but only succeeded as a  high school cheerleader, and lived in a ranch home with a one step difference between two areas of the house. Anyway, while in the middle of doing a "T" step, my left foot slipped on the edge and I fell back straight on my bum, the end of a five pound, metal dumbbell weight breaking my fall. This was one of those moments I was particularly grateful to be the possessor of the legendary "Barker Bum"--so named for the prevalence of ample bums in the Barker side of my family.
I was also particularly amused that this little accident happened just as the instructor was yelling the ubiquitous, "How's everybody doing?" --to which I could laugh/reply "Great!"
Seriously though, it sounds worse than it was and I got right back up on my platform and carried on. I couldn't even feel it 3 minutes later--I wasn't kidding about that Barker bum ;)

Coconut Pumpkin Smoothie
4 tbsp canned pumpkin
1/4 -1/2 tsp imitation coconut extract
1 1/2 tbsp powder coffee creamer
dash or two cinnamon
1 cup skim milk
1/4-1/2 tsp vanilla
Honey to sweeten
Ice cubes
~Blend and enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. I am laughing so hard right now!! I love you (and your little lady) so much!! way to go on the exercising!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara...seriously you are the cutest blogger! I wanna see some prego pics of you! :-) congrats!

    ReplyDelete